Blogger Layouts

Sunday, August 23, 2009

LOVE and other random stuff



First of all, I'm sending a BIG, HUGE, MUSHY CONGRATULATIONS to Kelly and Chad.
We can't wait to meet baby Leighton. (Nyla is still VERY excited :)
I just can't say enough about Kelly. She is the cat's meow, the rock to the jukebox, the awesome to... well, everything.
Kelly knows everything, and I mean everything about me. I don't have to hold back or hide anything, and I'm humbled that she trusts me enough to do the same.
She's been there always, without question, and WILL be there always, without question.
Obviously I'm oozing love today. I'm not usually mushy... I'm not even drunk.

Thinking about Kelly and how much I love her has really made me start thinking about some things in my life. Now, I have some sort of bizarre questions... or maybe they're actually statements. I don't know, you figure it out.

I'm in the process of simplifying all areas of my life. This includes my relationships... even with family (I should clarify that this is about parts of my family, mot the entirety). I know a lot of people are really close and connected with their family. I'm not. Does this mean that I have to pretend to be close just because we're genetically linked? We've all heard the quote "Blood is thicker than water". Well sure... in theory, but in reality IS IT?
My reasoning?? If a member of your family is basically a stranger, if neither of you are really into getting to know each other, and know you couldn't trust the person enough to tell them things that really matter anyway, why force it? If it was any relationship other than family, it would naturally phase out. Some people just don't mesh... genetically linked or not.
Basically, I'm at the point where I know myself better then I ever have. I know what I want and what I don't want. I know what I have time and energy for, and basically, I don't want to fake anymore. I think it is completely OK to wish people well, but let them go their own way, without guilt... whoever they are, regardless of DNA.

I think we do actually choose our family without being completely conscious of it. Think about the people you surround yourself with. Think about the people you can be yourself with. Think about the people you miss. Think about the people you can be HONEST with. When your world is falling apart who do you want to open up to? Who do you share your dreams with... even if they seem totally crazy?? Who KNOWS you?
In my opinion THIS IS OUR FAMILY! Sometimes our choices include our DNA linked family, sometimes not... and that's OK.
So, what do you think??? Anyone out there feel the same? Be anonymous if you want, I'm just really curious.

I know this is going to piss some people off. Its not about being angry or anything like that, its just where I am right now.

PS the Nyla update is still coming.

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Well I totally agree with that!! I think we are in the same situation in our lives.

Ruth said...

I totally have family that I barely know and others that I'm close too. I don't think you have to like everybody. I "love" them cause they're family, but I don't have any relationship with them.

Legs said...

Dude, you. are. reading. my. mail!

Seriously, this was just the post I needed to read to get my ass back to my blog. Thank you for the inspiration.

and not just because I've been drinking...

xoxo

Anita said...

Thanks ladies, nice to know others understand.
Legs: no problem. always happy to be an inspiration... it doesnt' happen often :)