Blogger Layouts

Monday, July 27, 2009

Sizzle sizzle...

Man, I'm hot...
Again, I find myself complaining about the weather... (and you thought I was just being conceited).
For some reason, northern BC has become the surface of the friggen sun. I live in the north... we're supposed to be working on our igloo plans by now, not wilting and frying in the unceasing and intolerable heat.
Those of you who know me know that me and heat do not mesh. I get all wilty and floppy and barfy. Hard labor in the crazy heat is starting to make me delusional I think. I'm pretty sure I've been having conversations with people who aren't really there. If you happen to see me mumbling to myself, just let me be... I probably think I've found a new friend.

We were recently at a party for some family friends, all of the guests happen to be farmers of some sort. It was interesting and a bit creepy sitting around like all the other farmers, bitching about weather and heat and how we're all going to find enough hay etc for our animals... not to mention what its done to our gardens. OY! You know you belong when you can bitch along with the rest of them :)

Now, for something completely different.
When you're flipping through satellite channels have you ever noticed how weird TLC is? I've re-named it "The Channel of Horror and Disturbia". I don't watch much TV, and when I do the LAST thing I want to see is 'The Man with 6 Heads', or 'The Man With the Dog Face Transplant'.
Prepare yourself, my next comments are going to piss some people off...
I really can't stand all the shows about people with a zillion kids. First of all, I think if adults want to act like fools on TV for money then by all means, go for it, but kids don't get to make that choice.
There's a family with 18 kids. Yes 18 freaking kids!! I was talking to someone about this, and they mentioned that they have a really good setup, because the older kids are all responsible for a younger kid. They help them dress etc... WHAT? How the hell is that a good setup?
So, the older kids get stuck parenting their siblings... right, that's just super for them. In my opinion, if someone has so many kids that they have to get some of their children to help be parents, then they have too many damn kids! PARENTS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE PARENTS.
Now, I know some people will argue that this responsibility teaches them to be good parents. I call a big ol' bullshit on that. Being a good parent to your child teaches the child about good parenting, not forcing them to be parents when they're still kids themselves.
Seriously people, if you're expecting your kids to help do your job, then you need to re-think your plan. Its not ok to rob kids of their childhood because YOU choose to have a huge family.
I agree that all kids should have chores and responsibilities, but they should all be age appropriate. (And really, there's a difference between occasionally babysitting siblings, and being given parenting responsibilities, so don't even try that debate).
I know people who were put in this position and believe me, it didn't work out well for them.
Rooooaaaar... rant over. See, boo to TLC.

On to the new farm. We're still looking for the right land. Its more difficult then it sounds. Then we have to decide if its better to find something with housing on it, or find something with nothing because starting from scratch - while going off the grid - is sometimes easier then converting. We have a house basically chosen to build, so what would we do with whatever happens to be there? But if we don't find something with some kind of housing already on it, where will we live while building a house. There will be so much building happening in the first little while, I can imagine the house will take a while to get done.
We've decided on a dome similar to this one. They are so energy efficient and there is less wasted space (I know it seems like a dome would be a huge waste of space, but it really isn't). My older brother (aka: Red Foreman)calls us 'damn hippies', but I'm willing to wager that he'll come around sooner then later.


Well, its time to slather everyone in buckets of sunscreen and head outside. Cross your fingers that I make it over to the llama pasture before turning into a puddle of goo.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

"Off the Grid farms" was a choice I was going to give to you the other day...
I agree about the bazillion kids things. It's sad sometimes when the older kids are doing parental duties...not right.

kelsey said...

I have watched that show and have argued the exact same thing you are saying. IF you cant look after your own children, then stop having them!!!

kelsey said...

I have watched that show and have argued the exact same thing you are saying. IF you cant look after your own children, then stop having them!!!

Ruth said...

lol...you are awesome....nothing like stirring the pot!
though, I do like TLC some days, I have to agree with the kids caring for kids point! And I too, have had enough of all the creepy 'I-gave-birth-to-dragon-boy' shows!
And the heat, OY!, if I'm not fully emerged up to the eyeballs in freezing cold lake water, I seriously feel like my skin is going to melt off and shrivel up! YUCK!

joni said...

hey Anita .. send me some links about houses.. we are kinda interested and thinking about our future..

please share with me.. smile.

pps .. is there any suitable land over on this side of the mountain??