Blogger Layouts

Friday, January 18, 2008

Yeah, that's right, we're moving again... wooo hoooo!

One great thing about living in a small town is the "its not what you know, its who you know" clause. Thanks to this, we have found an amazing place to live.

We went to look at the house today. It's about 30 KM out of town and pretty much in the middle of nowhere, (which is perfect for us. I hate being in town).
The house is on 25 acres, but the surrounding fields also belong to the landlord (no, we aren't buying because we aren't planning on being here much longer). There's a creek on the property that winds through the woods. The former owners built a little drawbridge over the creek so they could cut across to collect their mail. It's just really cute.
When you look out any window in the house all you see is trees and fields. I LOVE it. Even just being there today to look around did great things for my peace of mind.
The former owners were also part of the community garden tour, so the flower garden is INSANE! Its huge and elaborate with fish ponds and gazebos etc. I think Nyla and I will have a lot of fun playing around back there. It has been neglected since this new guy bought it a couple of years ago, so if anyone wants to come lend a hand feel free. There's lots of room for guests :)
The house itself is older, but really funky. There are lots of little hidey holes and interesting add ons. I think I would have found kindred spirits in the old owners. AND there's already a little workshop set up in the basement where I can do stained glass. It's just perfect.

I have never been so excited about moving somewhere. I didn't realize how much I missed living in the country.
Nyla and I will be there alone a lot, so I'm trying to convince Darryl we need a dog. It doesn't even have to be a big dog, just something to warn us if bears are going to come and bite us on the bum. So everyone should start mentioning to Darryl how wonderful dogs are!

( OH JOOOOONI!!!! I'm getting chickens :) Just a couple... and NOOOO roosters. You'll have to share all of your chicken wisdom with me ;)

This is a picture of one of the canola fields next door. I think its really pretty so I thought I'd share.



Darryl's mom sent an email with pictures of ice waves from antarctica. I guess its so cold that the water freezes the minute it comes in contact with the air. I thought the pictures were amazing, so I'll add a couple of them here too.






That's all the news for now. I'll update on Darryl next week because we'll have a bit more info.
I hope you're all enjoying this winter. If you don't live in the sub-arctic you should be very pleased with yourselves right now!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I misread your sentence at first and thought you typed..."oh noooo I'm getting Chickens..." and immediately thought of our sweet JONI...then realized you had said Joni...not sure where this comment is going.
I think the point I'm making is Joni is the person to talk to about chickens, and
Congratulations!! Sounds like a sweet setup!!!

joni said...

hahaha - Jenny you always make me laugh!

Anita i am so excited for you .. it sounds awesome! Humm i am really not a chicken expert...but they tend to be easy and forgiving... i love having our chickens, they give very nice eggs..Although too many roosters are a pain.. but one rooster is nice.

Those ice pics are incredible. Oley moley i would love to see those up close. wow.

ps glad to hear you are so happy and excited.

Anonymous said...

I'm a chicken expert. Just keep them in a spacey and enclosed mesh cage so the coyotes don't get them. Feed them in a giant hanging trough that resembles a large bird feeder. Pick up the eggs daily. And show them the axe if they don't lay any!
When the axe theory doesn't work, cut off their heads, watch them run around all silly-like, and then it's chicken soup for a Sunday afternoon lunch.

Hey, nice ice pics. I've never seen that before.
So Darryl's mom is in Antartica? Yikes.