Blogger Layouts

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My love for farming

It's interesting how something that came about by accident has ended up being the plan for our future. I can't believe how much I love it. I don't know why, because half the time its so bloody frustrating, but as I was weeding our mammoth garden today and was thinking about all the little things I love about being in the country and our little farm.
Here's my list:

1. Perfectly worn in work gloves.









2. It's so quiet here that I can hear a storm blow in.








3. Being totally physically exhausted from a day of hard work outside.






4. Watching Nyla's love for the outdoors grow, and Maren's total awe of everything she sees outside. I love knowing that my girls are going to be outside kids.









5. I love the smell of soil. Creepy I know... I love coming in from working in the garden and still being able to smell the soil (like now, I was weeding in the garden and still smell like it). Or when its been really hot and finally rains. That garden soil smell. LOVE IT.
OH and the satisfaction of seeing things that we've planted grow. HA! Take THAT supermarket!





There's so much more... sigh.
A lot of people think we're crazy for jumping into the organic garden. Yes, its a huge gamble, but when you already love and understand the lifestyle it isn't as scary. I think its scary to work years and years in a job you hate just to pay the bills. I think its scary that kids watch HOURS of TV and play HOURS of video games every day. And don't get me started on the food we're putting into our bodies!
Really, there's nothing new under the sun... we're just going back to how things used to be.
Have I mentioned yet that we're going to be off the grid?? Hee hee hee, pick your jaws up off the floor, its not as crazy as it sounds. It's something we decided we wanted to do before the idea of the organic farm came about. Our goal is for the farm to be totally self sufficient for power, etc.
I'm going to answer one question that a lot of people have been asking... YES we will have indoor plumbing. We're not going back to 1802 people!!
I'm happy, I'm REALLY excited, and I'm waiting not so patiently for everything to fall into place so we can get this party started. Cross your fingers that its all a done deal SOON!
Now, its not all fun and games. There are a few things I DON'T like at all...

1. Chasing effing llamas all over the effing countryside. Those rat bastards that took off are still gone and are now way off in Alberta. Don't ask me how we're planning to get them home...

2. BEARS! I don't feel I need to elaborate on that one. Coyotes are pretty annoying too.

3. Not having enough time to do everything that needs to be done. Days are too short.

4. Country friggen music. Just because I'm a farmer does NOT mean I love country music.

5. Crazy farmer neighbors. Good lord... I have stories. People are so weird.

Anyway, I have to go scrub the dirt out from under my nails... ewww.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Off the Grid? You brave & amazing girl! Sirena will be so jealous! lol! Can't wait for you to get started!! :)

Christy said...

I am excited for your new venture and you can bet your bottom dollar that I will be getting goods from your organic farm!

Are you serious that your llama's are in Alberta?Ummm...how did that happen?

Anita said...

Ruth: Yeah, off the grid! It's really not hard, or even scary. We're half off the grid where we are now, and it just makes sense with how we're going to be running the business. Who wants to pay 8 hundred million dollars to heat year round greenhouses?? HECK NO!
I'm guessing Sirena is wanting to be off the grid too? Tell her to do it :) Iguess its kind of hard in town eh?

Christy bum: Thanks man! And yes, 3 of our llamas escaped on shearing day and have been gone ever since. We've herded them home a few times but they bolt before we can get them in (thanks to the stupid bear crapping all over and scaring them to death).
We're close to the Alberta border and got a call from some dude MILES a fricken way that he spotted them running further into Alberta. Sigh... The other one has just disappeared.
Sometimes life is a party. I can't tell you how many miles I've run after those things, and how many hours I've spent. Boooo!

Legs said...

You are inspiring...and focken crazy to go off the grid. I hope you do it though...I hate BC Hydro. Strong words I know but c'mon it's a soul less corporation.

Good luck

Legs
www.themilfreport.blogspot.com

Anita said...

Thanks Legs,
I don't think 'soul less corporation' are strong enough words...
Great blog by the way. You made me laugh :)

Legs said...

Thanks, you make me laugh too!