Blogger Layouts

Friday, April 24, 2009

Ah, farm life



There are 25 chicks coming to live on the farm in about 2 weeks(the chicken variety, not the human variety). I was excited about it until I started cleaning out the chicken coop and realized that it is inhabited by about a billion crazy weasels.
In case you don't know, weasels are the mob family of the rodent world and are really just happy to murderize unsuspecting creatures.
The dude at the local feed store said "oh yeah, those crazy little bastards will kill every chicken in a hen house just for fun". GOOD LORD! Apparently they aren't very easy to catch either. According to the same dude, not only are they "crazy little bastards", but they're "tricky little fu*kers" too.
I don't know about you, but I'm not into being outsmarted by a rodent. I've heard from various sources that the best way to get rid of them is to trap them in a live trap and then shoot them while they're still in the trap... right... it'll be like a redneck party.
Then, I was wondering what to do with them after the fact. I had a flashback to childhood... we had a really close family friend who happened to be about 8 zillion years old and a bit 'kooky'. She was an awesome old lady, but she'd send us little packages in the mail. These packages were nightmare material. She'd find dead birds and rip off the wings to send, she even skinned a squirrel and sent the skin for my little bro. She'd cut up her old bras and even include miles of IV tubing if she had been in the hospital. SERIOUSLY DISTURBING. So, given that I have a very 'special' sense of humor I was thinking about who might appreciate my own version of one of these packages. MWAH HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAA! I've seriously been laughing about it for 2 days :)

Other then that, things are progressing as they should. Spring might finally be here after the 2 day blizzard we just experienced.
The size of the garden is doubling this year. A test garden I guess you could say, in order to get ready for the big move, and new business. Speaking of the new business...I was talking to a family member the other day about the organic farm. He said 'It's just so weird, I can't picture you doing that'. Isn't it funny that people who are supposed to be closest to us sometimes know the least about us? Bizarre.

The kids are great. Nyla has been potty trained for a little while now. I know its just potty training, but I have to say that it brings an immense amount of pride. Successful potty training takes a lot of patience, consistency and an invested interest in your child. It feels like a huge accomplishment once its all done. All that time and care was worth it (obviously) :)
Maren is getting HUGE! Nyla was always a cute long, lean baby, but Maren is a cute little chubbo. She's healthy and happy and seriously has the most laid back personality.

One thing I find so amazing about being a mom, is that when something goes wrong in my kid's lives, it usually only takes a cuddle from mommy to make it better. I know it won't be like that forever, but for now, its just a wonderful thing that I enjoy very much and am a little bit humbled by.

Now, I'm off to continue the job of cleaning up the dog crap factory that we call our yard, and picking rocks out of the extended garden space. I live a glamorous life folks!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Wowzers! I am never bored by your life!!! You really never cease to amaze me!!

Weird fact:
As I was reading your post, Kieran and Dawn were moving into our complex! :)