I'm not usually very interested in Valentines day. It's kind of like my birthday, I could take it or leave it. My sister and I were chatting about that, and she happened to mention that she likes Valentine's Day because her kids enjoy it so much. I hadn't thought of making it a kid's 'holiday' until that conversation.
Nyla loves crafts... especially super messy crafts, so I dug out all her glitter, glue, puffy things and anything else she has left in her craft cupboard and we decided to make some Valentine's Day cards. I told her we'd keep Daddy's card a secret until he woke up.
Darryl has been working some crazy long days and was catching a couple of hours of sleep, but Nyla was so excited she burst into our bedroom and yelled "Daddy!!! I'm making you a secret Valentines Day card!!!" I love how kids keep secrets :)
I wish I had taken a picture of her after she was done. She's always covered in whatever we've been using for crafts. She was extra sparkly today!
I still can't share anything about why I'm so excited... I've come to realize that it was not very nice to post about it when I can't share about it. I'm just so excited... its hard to keep it to myself. I did mention it to two different friends and their responses almost made me cry. They both said the exact same thing..."That's so you". I LOVE having friends who know me so well that my biggest dream, although crazy to most, is totally accepted and understood.
I know I gush about my friends a lot, but I really am blessed. I was reading Hannah's blog tonight. She was thanking people for being there for her in different ways.
I'm stealing the idea from Hannah. There are some people in my life who have been truer then true, and on this lovey day I'd like to share the love, so to speak.
(these names are listed in no particular order...)
Imelda: I love that no matter where we are, when we're together, regardless of the circumstance we laugh until it hurts. I'm humbled that you were willing to leave your family in the days before Christmas to come help me take care of mine.
There's a lifetime of friendship that can't be summed up in a paragraph, but I'm really glad that no matter what, we're in it together. I'm really happy that we never have to be worried about losing each other. You're my actual sister/friend.
Diane: Its not common for a mother in law to become a great friend, but we've achieved it. I love that I can be completely myself around you. I miss our movie nights and shopping trips. I like that we can talk on the phone almost ever day and not get sick of each other. Most of all I love seeing how much you love Nyla (I know you'll love Maren just as much). I didn't grow up with a Grandma so I love watching your relationship with her.
You sacrificed a lot of your time to be with us when Maren was born. I absolutely could not have made it through that situation without you. You really went above and beyond the call of duty and I know not many people would have done the same.
There are 3 ladies who have always been there, no matter what.
Kelly: You are one of the only people on the planet that knows absolutely everything about me. You put up with a lot from me and I can't tell you how I appreciate you not kicking me to the curb :)
I trust you, rely on you and love who you are. I can tell you anything and know that even if you don't agree with what I've done, you'll always support me. You're one of the few people who really know me and 'get' me. I know that we'll be sister/friends forever and its not just a cliche.
Christy: I love our friendship. We can go ages without talking, but can pick up where we left off as soon as we see each other. I can tell you anything without worrying what you'll think of me. We have such a unique friendship, and I feel like I really 'grew up' with you.
I love how deeply you care for your friends, and how willing you are to help in any way. You're an amazing support to me.
I love your sense of humor :) I love that we can laugh together like crazy people, and cry together... also like crazy people ;)
I can always count on you... no matter what. You're another sister/friend forever.
Jenn: You have been a true friend, and have also shared your family with me. You and your parents have had such a huge impact on my life... I'd be lost without you. I feel completely at home with your family, and you actually understand why that means so much to me.
You've witnessed some of my highest highs, but also my lowest lows, and you brought the love of a sister plus the love of parents to me. How can I thank you for that??
You are the most honest person I know. I love that you say what you think at all times (even if it sometimes makes me want to beat you :) Yes, that's right... another sister/friend :)
You three ladies are so special and so important to me. You have absolutely touched my life and changed who I am. I feel like I grew up with all of you. So many of my great memories includes at least one, if not all of you.
Cindy R: Our friendship is also very special and important to me. It usually takes me a very long time to make a friendship like ours, but it seems like there was some kind of divine intervention involved. I feel like we're so alike, and understand each other so well. We can share great stuff, but the really awful stuff too. We can be completely real with each other, and still have a great time :)
I know that our friendship will always be there... I say 'sister/friend' a lot, but its just so true. You make me check in when things are rough, and aren't afraid to tell me to get my head out of my ass (although you usually say it much nicer...)
You're there, always, without question.
Darryl: You are the most amazing man I've ever known. You know me and love me, and allow me to be me. We've made it through more in the last (almost) 6 years than some people will see in a lifetime, and even though sometimes we hung on by a thread, we always hung on. You are the person I want to tell everything to. I could spend every day with you and not get tired of your company. Nothing is scary when you're with me...
We're so made for each other, that this next adventure doesn't scare you but makes you just as excited as I am.
I love you, and I like you. I'm proud of who you are.
This post is already long, and I know Maren is about to wake up to eat... but there are other people who have influenced my life in crazy amazing ways... Carmen, Hannah, Peter, Kelsey. I think this post will have to be continued...
Happy Valentines Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment