Blogger Layouts

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Poor little dude :(

My little newborn nephew, Devlin, was airlifted with Ashley to PG tonight. Nobody is sure what's wrong yet, but we're hoping they can get it figured out there and not have to send them on to Edmonton or Vancouver. Kevin and Ashley are understandably pretty upset,so keep them in your thoughts!

Things here are moving along. I still have a mountain of boxes to unpack (how did I accumulate all this crap???)but there are millions of better things to do, so I'm procrastinating on going through the stored boxes. If I survived without it for this long I sure don't need it now!

The bridge I was so excited about fixing is now kaputz... Stupid beavers decided to gnaw down a tree and let it fall on the remainder of the bridge... I'm not so happy with them right now.

We've decided that our little farm needs a couple of Alpacas. We've done some reading and found that they're really pretty neat animals. They're protective like dogs, smart, and I can get the fiber (that's what they call the wool) spun into actual wool. Yes, I'm a nerd who knits... and alpaca wool is apparently as soft as cashmere and warmer than sheep wool.
There's a woolen mill not too far from us that I can send it to (totally don't have the patience to do it myself...) Be expecting toques (Translation for my american friends: toque = winter hat) ;) mitts, scarves... I'm especially good with scarves :) I'm going to start some Irish cableknit patterns for sweaters... this is all if I have some time next winter. And YES, if I send you something I DO expect you to wear it... even if it looks funny and has ear flaps. GOT IT!
I've also been making things out of old barn wood, but I promise not to make anyone take any of that stuff... yet...

Now, I'm going to share a story that makes me look like a total hick, but it makes me feel a bit like MacGyver... I was trying to find a way to haul wood to the house without having to do a zillion trips because I usually have Nyla with me, and gathering wood from the woodshed is not one of her favorite passtimes...
One day while Nyla and I were exploring I found half of an old car hood. I tied some rope to it and made a wood sled that works like a hot damn. I can load a ton of wood on that thing and it just zooms along on the snow. I feel like a superstar... a nerdy one, but still a superstar.
Unfortunately it doesn't pull well over grass, so I'm now the proud owner of a wonderful, bright red wheelbarrow :)
I feel like a total hick, pretty soon I'll be asking "Do you and the missus want to come on over with those cute little tater tots of yours and deep fry us a turkey??"
Someone save me from myself...

4 comments:

Christy said...

This is my favorite post ever! If you get a Alpacas, you will be my new hero! That farm life is so you but not the hick part of course!

You will have to let me know what is going on with your nephew? Maybe shoot me a quick email? I will be praying for him!!

joni said...

Anita i love it.. the whole dang thing.. whoot whoot.. you are so rocking.

PICTURES PLEASE!!!!


and again... email email email... hehe


ps .. i too will be thinking/praying for your family...Gods merciful hand be upon them.

Jenny said...

Your nephew and his parents are in my prayers!
Hicks are cool! That's what I tell myself!!
I've been meaning to pick up knitting. I have a book and some wool, just need to learn what to do next!!LOL
I love innovative people...can't wait to see a pic of the hick wood hood!!
And finally, Wheelbarrows are the cat's ass...

Jenn said...

I love you! You sound so so happy, and finally at HOME......

As for your nephew...I am praying!