This is the hardest picture for me to see. This is how she looked when I first entered the NICU at Children's Hospital the day after she was born. Soon after they shaved a spot on her head to put in an IV. Remembering this makes my stomach hurt.

I'm so thankful to the nurses there who are used to comforting hysterical parents. They assured me that the first week was pure hell, but that it would in fact get better.
And it did get better...
A very special nurse took this picture for me. I didn't think I'd want to remember those days, (and I still don't), but I'm grateful because I can look back at how far Maren has come.
I don't have many pictures. Darryl's mom has some on her camera, so when I get copies I'll share some.
There's so much I'd like to say about my time there, but I don't know if I'd ever be able to stop, so I think its best if I don't start.
On a happier note, Nyla has been doing great. She's so freaking funny and still as stubborn as ever. If Maren starts to cry she'll run over and say "Awwwww, its ok Maren" and pat her back. She loves to hold Maren (with help of course) and is happy to sit beside us on the couch and hold her hand. She tells us that Maren is her best friend (how cute is that???).
She's really into hats right now. She has a dorky hat that she calls her 'hunting hat'. She even wears it to bed (or tries to). This bucket is her 'party hat'. She purposely puts it on like that when she feels like having a party.
Maren loves getting her hair washed. She's not so fond of the rest of the tubby experience.
I love moments where you look around you and realize how much you love the people surrounding you. I feel like we've been through hell, but because of that have been drawn so much closer as a family. Darryl is my hero. I can't begin to tell you how amazing he is and how much more I've grown to respect him. He was my rock when nothing else seemed steady. Seeing him care for our kids, even simple things like making peanut butter toast, or doing goofy dances to make Nyla laugh, or singing softly to Maren while he feeds her, or tucking both of them into their beds at night shows me what a great man he is.
We are happy, we are healthy and we are blessed.

2 comments:
It must feel so good to be back home and know that Maren is thriving so well! She is just gorgeous and I am glad that you are all adjusting well. The last picture of her looks exactly like the black and white photo on your side bar. The one on your side bar is Nyla right? If so, the girls really look similar!!
What a little miracle baby Maren is! She is so adorable in that bath picture!
Post a Comment